Canaan Calling

I feel it. Most Christians do, to some extent. It is Jesus calling Peter out of the boat. It is God telling Joshua to begin the possession of the promised land by marching in circles around Jericho. God has great plans for us all. Are you willing to leave the boat and do the impossible?

Name:
Location: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States

I like safety. I like comfort. God is teaching me to release both of those and venture into the wild. That is where He is. That is where the river of his Spirit is flowing. That is where I have to be -- the Holy Wild -- Living on the edge of God's will.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

1 Samuel 3

v. 1. Why was the word of the Lord rare? I wonder if that could be said of our churches and church leaders. Is it rare for me? How often do I hear a word from the Lord?

v. 4. So, when God calls to us, do we hear him, or are we so otherwise occupied that He does not bother to call out to us until we are attuning ourselves to hear him. Can even good, church things occupy us to such an extent that we do not hear from him? What are some things we can do to attune our hearts to hear the call of God, understand it, and obey?

v. 11. Don’t you want to see God do something amazing? What do we need to do to be ready for that? I see 2 things in Samuel: first, he had a servant’s heart. He served God faithfully even before he knew the Lord (v. 7). Secondly, he was open and willing to obey. He was setting his heart to be receptive to God and to obey him fully.

v. 13. Dads, we have an obligation before God to raise our kids in his ways. We are to teach and correct them. I don’t want to be judged by God because I failed as a Father.

v. 19. I sometimes let the word of God fall to the ground because of fear and doubt. It is one thing to hear from God, it is another to act on it. I wonder if I continually fail to act, how long will it be before He just stops speaking to me and goes on to find someone who will act? There is room to get it wrong. Better to swing and miss once in a while than to not swing at all. Who will miss out on what God has for them today because I am to afraid to act?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home